RMIT or Uni Melb??? Dilemma

Just got back from Auntie Ruby's housewarming party in Bangsar. I had a chat with my cousin, who's an architect and was offering me a job at his Wangsa Maju branch. He's actually taking over his dad's firm, Kaz Architects, but for now my uncle is handling the main branch in JB and he's managing the KL branch.

He asked me about Anne (sebab Anne kerja kat my uncle's firm last sem), and then we talked about going overseas. Apparently he's from Queensland University (damn! bestnyer) and he recommended me to go to University of Melbourne.

Pulak dah.

The reason why I wanted Uni Melbourne back then was because his wife (engineer from RMIT) told me that RMIT wasn't as good as Uni Melbourne. So I was planning to work for 4 months and then apply, but then things happened and I changed my mind to go to RMIT instead. And as I was preparing my portfolio for RMIT this May's education fair.... I'm confused again. Now what??

I really trust my uncle and cousins' tastes: after all, they were the ones who recommended me to go to UITM for my diploma because it had the best architecture course. They were right. And maybe they are right again about this?

I think I have to do some research on which is the best option:

RMIT

Pros

  • no need 4 months working experience
  • cheaper application fee = 70 aussie dollars (but if I send it through education fair, it's free)
  • intake in february - can apply right now

Cons

  • maybe not as good as University of Melbourne?
  • The school of thought is based on trend architecture (?) Not so useful in the working field.


UNIVERSITY OF MELBOURNE

Pros

  • better reputation?
  • intake in february - enough time to prepare for application
  • the school focuses more on construction -- a valuable skill after graduating

Cons

  • higher application fee = 100 aussie dollars (but free if I send through education fair)
  • 4 months working experience required
  • must graduate from bachelor science first
--------------------------------------------------------------

In theory, RMIT should be winning because it has fewer cons. But I have to factor in the fact that my first and original choice had always been University of Melbourne, since day one.

Who knows? Rory from Gilmore Girls had always aimed for Harvard, but chose Yale instead. (Ya Allah nak compare-kan diri dengan Rory... gila perasan)

Which should it be? I have to make a quick decision now...

5 dreamflowers:

Syima said...

y u want to choose between cheaper n most convineant way??? u urself said dat in ur opinion melbourne is da best choice and was ur number 1. y burdening ur head with it? besides ape salahnye keje 4 thn? dpt experience maa.. dah name pun good universities, so u have to be a good student/worker to continue ur study there.

Syima said...

lgpun if u risau sgt pasal money, kumpul la duit mase 4 thn bekerja tu. i think dat is the other reason on y u got to have 4 years working experience. maybe to stuff up some money first since the yuran mahal??? =P

Fatin Shaza said...

Err syima 4 months je la... ^_^; gila pe nak kerja 4 tahun dulu...

Syima said...

ahaa ok 4 months je~

Fatin Shaza said...

Tu la... maybe I'll apply for RMIT first, and then after 4 months working with my cousin, apply for Uni of Melbourne. See first la. Hopefully sempat by the end of the year.