
So... the new Twilight movie is coming out soon. New Moon.
I'm impartial to the series, with the favouritism slide scaling down to almost 0%.... but while I do have friends that loathe Twilight with every single bone, I have other friends who love them to death. I know, stuck in middle.
So, what is with stories that highlight the passionate, temporary infatuation of teenagers rather than real love? I mean, Jacob was there for Bella. He was kind, caring, attentive, friendly. Why couldn't he get the girl, for once?
All Bella ever thinks about Edward is that he's perfect. Angel smile. Beautiful eyes. Achingly beautiful muscles. What is she, a Greek idol worshipper?? He can read minds. He's gorgeous. He's mysterious and dangerous but is the sweetest most romantic boyfriend. He's flawless.
(or if he's not being 'flawless', he's either creepily stalking her at night to watch her sleep, or taking out the engine of her car so that she couldn't see Jacob, or trying to commit suicide just because he thought Bella had died, or making Bella desperately dependent on him. No wait, lemme guess -- it's *romantic*.
And other controlling, abusive things.)
Think girls. Do you really think someone that perfect is interesting?
In fact, I think it's boring. It is character flaws and quirks that molds an interesting personality, because we can actually relate to them.
Would you rather prefer a knight in shining armor that has the personality of a brick wall?
Or the best-friend who's actually likeable, fun and has actual flaws like a normal human being? Oh and he actually goes through a lot of character development, compared to the rest who are stuck in emo!emo!wangst mode 95% of the time.
I'd pick the best friend definitely.
For now, I'm rooting for Jacob Black
He's singularly the only character I can stand in Twilight ...before Smeyer decided to butcher his characterization into pieces in the following books. One word. Nessie.
Booo Smeyer.
0 dreamflowers:
Post a Comment